Keto Low-Carb Version of Fettucini Alfredo With Shrimp
Total Time: 45 min Prep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Yield: 4 servings
This low-carb version of fettucini alfredo uses spaghetti squash in place of fettucini. It’s about 7.5 grams of carbs per serving. It’s got all the original thick and creamy parmesan sauce and is topped with shrimp fried in butter. Mmmm. This turned out to be one of the best dishes I’ve eaten so far on keto.
– 1/2 medium spaghetti squash (2 cups = ~16 grams carbs)
– 1 dozen frozen shrimp (cooked, deveined, peeled) – 0
– 6 tablespoons unsalted butter – 0
– 1 cup heavy cream – 6.6 grams carbs
– 1 clove garlic, crushed – 1 gram carbs
– 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan (I was out of parmesan, so I used Dubliner and it was delicious, so feel free to experiment) – 6 grams carbs
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves – 0
– Fresh basil leaves – 0
1. Cook the spaghetti squash. I have some fool-proof instructions here.
2. Slightly thaw the shrimp (put them in a colander and let cold water run over it, then pat dry with paper towel).
3. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and lightly fry the shrimp for 3-5 minutes. Remove when they are pink (don’t overdo, or they will become rubbery). Remove from heat and set aside.
4. While the shrimp is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cream and reduce for about 2 minutes, then add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through. Stir in another 2 tablespoons of the butter and parsley. Stir in the shrimp.
5. Place spaghetti squash in a large serving bowl, and pour Alfredo sauce over squash. Garnish with basil.
This recipe was adapted from one I found by George Stella, 2003, from the Food Network, Low Carb Revolution.
Total carbs for whole recipe = <30 grams of carbs
Per serving = 7.5 grams of carbs