Cream cheese is a versatile ingredient used in many keto and low-carb recipes. The carb count of cream cheese varies according to the brand, and I’ve seen 6 grams of carbs for 8 ounces, up to 1 gram per each 3/4 ounce.
Benefits of cream cheeses (from iTV.com):
- Cream cheeses, unlike other unsafe cheeses are made from pasteurized milk which makes it safe to eat.
- They are a good source of protein.
- Calcium and phosphorous content of cream cheeses can be trusted highly in preventing bone decalcification.
- The carbohydrate content of cream cheeses is in a minimum extent so would not add on weight to your body.
- They have considerable amount of vitamin A.
Most sites that criticize cream cheese, do so due to the high fat content. On keto, that doesn’t matter.
Cream cheese is used in some of my favorite keto and low-carb recipes. It’s even an ingredient in one of my favorite low-carb, keto pizza crusts.
There are lots and lots of low-carb and keto recipes that use cream cheese:
- Cauliflower mashed potatoes
- Low carb (keto-friendly) pizza crust
- Chili no bean dip
- Macaroni Grill stuffed peppadew peppers
- Cream cheese pancakes (or crepes)
- Ham and cheese rollups
- Low-carb / keto chocolate fudge